Friday, April 11, 2014

For the Love of Igbo and Igbo Culture

"Igbo Child in Finland" by Adebanji Alade
I recently recalled a conversation I had with a good friend of mine some years ago. I had expressed a desire to study Igbo (language, literature, culture, anything) at the university level but my friend immediately dismissed it as a "stupid" thought. "What? Are you crazy," he asked me in utter disbelief. He had not understood why people go to the university to study English language, much less French, he said. And there I was expressing an interest in Igbo language. I must be crazy, he concluded.

Thank goodness I'm as sane as they come. My sole insanity is my passion for a culture that I love so much--its language, its history, and its people. I remember an equally great passion and pride with which the likes of Nigeria's literary giant, Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, and celebrity journalist, Bashorun Dele Momodu (who actually studied Yoruba in the university), speak of their Yoruba culture. I remember a similar fervor with which the 17th century English playwright, William Shakespeare wrote about English culture and by so doing preserved it for posterity in his plays. I remember a comparable enthusiasm that prompted a group of French men in 1883 to found Alliance Francaise "to promote French language and culture around the world." I remember all this and I wonder at my good friend's disdain for the study of his own culture.

Prof. Pat Okedinachi Utomi receives kola nut at the 2013
Ola Ndi Igbo ceremony in Lagos
Anyway, my passion for Igbo culture has only grown stronger over the years. It couldn't have been otherwise, for as an Igbo proverb says: Mma onye tu n'ukwu ka o ji ana n'aka (loosely, "It's the sword that a warrior sheathes on their waist that they pull out to greet other warriors"). One can only celebrate what they have and not that which they lack. Without the passion for my language and culture, I'll find it difficult to muster any passion for the Other's language and culture too.

Although, over the years, I have known of some fora (like the pioneering Society for Promoting Igbo Language & Culture--founded in 1949 by F.C. Ogbalu; Odenigbo Lectures--brainchild of Archbishop Obinna of Owerri; Aka Ikenga; and Igbo Language Academy) that articulate, celebrate, and promote Igbo language and culture, I was recently pleasantly surprised to learn of the newly established Center for Igbo Studies (CIS) at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).

Whereas Imo State University and Abia State University have also established similar centers and other institutions of higher learning in Nigeria offer degrees and certificates in Igbo language and literature, UNN's CIS goes further to advance the study not only of the language but also of "Igbo history, culture, and allied disciplines..." It offers its services to "students, scholars and the public, through critical research, teaching, conferences, seminars, symposia, workshops... public lectures and any other form of public delivery" within the contemporary Nigerian and global context.

Explaining the rationale behind its establishment, the Center's director, Dr. Nwankwo. T. Nwaezeigwe, rightly observes that the Center's focus on study of Igbo experience, among other things, will provide an invaluable window into "the historical forces that have through the ages shaped what became the enigmatic Igbo personality, identity and characteristic enterprising spirit" both in Igboland and Igbo Diaspora.

I am doubly excited about the Center because it also shows particular interest in Nollywood and already sees the film industry as a future collaborator in advancing the Igbo cause. According to Dr. Nwaezeigwe,  "The dimension and pattern of the exposition of Igbo culture and values in the fast-growing Nollywood film industry will also be of great interest for the Centre. It is hoped that the Centre for Igbo Studies will in future develop a working relationship with the Igbo section of the film industry based on training, re-training and consultancy with the wider objective of turning Nollywood from being a mere entertainment industry, to being an ambassadorial platform for expressing and promoting Igbo culture, mind and values."
____
PS: Some months after writing this post, I found out, again to my delight, about the Igbo Studies Association and the trove of its international conferences, publications, and activities on its website.

Meanwhile, here is a link to an engaging article on the evolution of the Association's journey. 

33 comments:

  1. For starters, that's a great painting by Alade. In between, I love your love and passion for your culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat Utomi is my role model. Unlike some Igbo people I know from Delta State, he is proud of his Igbo identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep calm and speak Igbo indeed. I love my Igbo culture too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still buy my Igbo novels and I enjoy them. I believe everyone should be proud of who they are and their identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the many centers for African studies in colleges and universities across the globe, the Centre for Igbo Studies will surely advance social-cultural, political and economic discourses on the welfare Ndigbo. Kudos, UNN. Nice one. Once again you've proven that you're t the forefront of higher education in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ooo!!!UNN:the first...and still the best.Always changing for the positive and "restoring the dignity of huMANkind"

      Delete
  6. What we know of any language or culture of the world comes from members of such cultures who love their culture and passionately promoted it to the admiration of others. I find it quite interesting that many people suck up those such promoted cultures at the obvious contempt of their own cultures and languages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This too much talk on Igbo language and culture don dry too much oh. Which Igbo culture are we talking about? The one practiced by our forebears or the one mixed and remixed in our cities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmee. Efulu edu like you. which one you want make we talk about?

      Delete
  8. F.C. Ogbalu. Tony Ubesie. J.U.T. Nzeako. A.E. Afigbo. Donatus Ibe Nwoga. Chinua Achebe. Great heroes. May our generation not fail them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem with Igbo people is that we try too hard to outdo one another with showing and proving that we can speak "grammar"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annoying thing is that most of us don't even "knows" (haha) how to speak the grammar. The best we can afford when we are not breaking bottles everywhere is Engrigbo.

      Delete
    2. Some even form "phone" with their Igbo accent. Irritating.

      Delete
  10. How many city-dwelling Igbo parents speak Igbo to their kids or even teach them the language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Igbo families in Europe and America that teach their children Igbo. authentic Igbo in diaspora

      Delete
    2. Good for you.

      Delete
  11. Has anyone actually noticed how natural and comfortable many of our Nollywood actors and actresses are when they flow in their naija languages/pidgin?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one, Chijioke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Nollywood collabo will be massive, with huge positive results, I'd believe. Go Lions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous painting. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noted.Hahahahah!!! I will go to the market to buy a special lawn mower to clear the land that will be used at UNN for the Studies as my own way of supporting the Igbo Language.Its really a pity that even the people feel shy to speak their language nor teach their children.It surprises me how Kids of today speak English from conception and yet keep failing English Language in Waec at an alarming rate or am i the only one noticing that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one oh! It's so so appalling. Igbo people can be their own worst enemies sometimes. And colo mentality doesn't help matters either. We ape those who have invested pride and resources in their own language and shy away from our own in order to appear civilized and non-parochial. And we still wonder why our language is dying out. My heart aches. It bleeds.

      Delete
  16. O weloo! Just keep calm and speak Igbo. Udo di.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't care what you say. Igbo amaka. Simple and short.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In Flavour's voice: If you see me, call me Onye Igbo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fizzie m, kpoo m OnyeIgbo!

      Delete
    2. I fuzie m, kpoo m OnyeIgbo!

      Delete
    3. Igbo amaka aa, Igbo amaka aa!

      Delete
  19. Igbo amaka! Kpom kwem!

    ReplyDelete