Friday, September 19, 2014

Growing Up With Nollywood


It’s just another regular Saturday in our home. My parents, brothers, some of our neighbors and I are all in the living room or parlor as we used to call it. We are watching a Nollywood film. In this war torn country of Liberia, Nollywood movies are the second most popular form of entertainment. First, it’s Hollywood.
Every Saturday night, families around the country gather to watch a Nollywood film showing on the only television channel available. The next morning, I will gather with my friends under the mango tree and discuss the movie we saw the night before.
During the week, if I am lucky, my mother will give me $30 Liberian dollars to visit the nearby cinema so that I can watch the latest Nollywood film that will not be shown on television until maybe a year later. The cinema is always full so I arrive there early to get the best seats. When the movie is all over, I run back home to discuss it with all who will listen. Despite the low quality of Nollywood films, people across Liberia still enjoy watching it.

Source: Affi Peace White, student at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment