Thursday, September 04, 2014

Nigerian Politicians Spoil Actors with Money and Cars, Zeb Ejiro

Zeb Ejiro
In a recent interview with Yes! International magazine, respected filmmaker, Zeb Ejiro, accused Nigerian politicians for spoiling Nollywood actors with material gifts. 
According to Ejiro, "There are a lot of people who never dreamt of being what they are today. Suddenly, they found themselves there. People are running after them. I need to see you and all that. They start seeing themselves above God. That’s where they get it wrong. 
“The movie industry did not start with the stars that are there today. It started with others. People who suffered to make them who they are, they dump those people, they don’t respect them. You are doing something today, maybe a child’s naming ceremony, marriage or whatever, they don’t attend. They don’t come, they don’t need you anymore!
“Because the politicians are giving them so much money, the politicians are buying them cars; female politicians are buying the male stars cars, homes and what have you. The male politicians are buying the female ones whatever they want. So, suddenly, they don’t need the producers anymore. They can even make bigger movies than you now because one politician will give them N100 million and you are looking for N15 million to do a blockbuster.
"So, suddenly, they find out that they are bigger than you. Not just you; they are bigger than the industry. I think the bane of the movie industry is the Nigerian politicians. That’s the truth!"

The full interview follows below.

Please, don’t let us go into any argument over this. It’s what we call here the gospel truth – Mr. Zeb Ejiro is one of the biggest film makers that Africa has produced. And there should not be any contest about that. From Isoko in Delta State, the father of seven who journeyed from zero to hero still holds the yet-to-be-beaten record of creating the longest running soap opera (Ripples) on national television. Hit movies like Domitilla, Sakobi, Goodbye Tomorrow, Intimate Strangers also emerged from his fecund imagination. Likewise Candlelight and Gentle Solution. At his office on Bassie Ogamba Street in Surulere, Lagos, on Tuesday, August 19, 2014, YES INTERNATIONAL! Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, AZUH ARINZE, drilled him for hours. And the result of their fruitful and fantastic session is what we have below. Enjoy…
What makes a good director? First of all, a good director will be somebody that is very imaginative. Because when you look at the process of movie making, a director is the one that interprets the script into pictures. The script is ordinary, but the man that brings that script to life, the man that turns that harmless script into pictures for people to see is the director. So, that’s why the director must not only be imaginative, he must also be creative.
And a good director must know a little of everything. When it comes to the medical part, he should know a little; when it comes to the legal area, he should know a little. He doesn’t have to know all, because you can do research, you can get experts in the legal area to tell you what you want when it comes to Law. The director must also know his onions in terms of what he wants from day one.  Because some directors do compromise. Maybe they have a brother or they have a friend or girlfriend and what have you; when they cast, they compromise and once you compromise, it will show definitely.
A director must put his foot down all the time to say well, no matter who you are, you have to merit the role for me to give you the role. If you don’t merit that role, forget it, I’m not gonna give you the role. A director should be able to tell a good script from a bad script; a director should be able to tell people who can interpret the script that he’s working on at a given time properly; a director must have a vast knowledge of aesthetics, about sets. These are the things that make a good director.

What makes a good producer?
A good producer must have a little of all these things that a director has, but must be a businessman (Laughter). Yes, he must be a businessman.
What makes a good actor?
To me, a good actor is that one that is versatile, that one that can handle any role that you give him. If you give him a flamboyant role as a banker, top-notch banker or what have you, he can handle it. And if you bring him down to say, play the role of a mad man, he can do it. Any role! Once an actor is versatile, to me, that’s a good actor. There are some people who are stereotyped. It doesn’t mean they are not good actors; they are. But because of one big movie they have done and that movie is so successful, their entire life is tied to that movie. So, most times, people want to stereotype them, give them the same thing to do. Yes, they are still good actors, but to me, I always prefer one who is versatile.

What makes a good script?
A good script is a script that has a very good beginning, a good middle and a good end. Once the beginning is arresting, the middle of the script can keep you glued to your seat, then at the end of the day, you will be able to say oh my God, this is a wonderful story; that is a good script.

What makes a good movie?
A good movie is all these components we have talked about put together. The best of all these things I’ve mentioned – a good producer that is a businessman, a creative director, wonderful script, good actors, good set, good timing, costuming and more. Because most times movies are set.
One problem we have in this country is that we don’t set our movies. If you are doing a movie that is set in 193 something and in a particular village, and you are shooting that movie today and you see electric wire in the shot, it is wrong! Because at that particular time, there was no electricity in that community. So, that movie must be set at a particular time and the dress code of the characters must reflect that time. The way they speak too must reflect that time. Everything! The food they eat should reflect that time. So, these are all the things that make a good movie.
What do you like most about being a film maker?
What I like most about being a film maker is that most times I can be able to look at my environment, pick an issue around me and turn it into pictures for the world to see. A good example is Domitilla. I grew up in a place like Ajegunle (a slum in Lagos) and I saw too many things that were not right about young girls going into commercial sex, all to take care of the families. It is not that it is what they loved, what they wanted to do.
But necessity made them to do it, and they are not just doing it to dress themselves, they are doing it to take care of an entire family. And I think that is very unusual, un-African and I took that story and told it to the world. So, I like a situation where I tell topical stories. It makes me so happy.

What don’t you like about being a film maker?
There’s nothing that I don’t like. I keep telling people that if I come again, I will still be a movie maker. Because this job does not have age limit, you don’t get old in this job. If you watch me, you will see the way I’m dressed (a pair of jeans, shirt and converse). This is how I look all the time. You are always young, you are always on the go and this is the only job you are doing, enjoying yourself and making money. If there’s a downside, the downside will be the environment that I find myself.
Presently, we don’t have enough enabling environment for moviemakers to be able to explore. I think that is just the downside. There’s nothing that will make me to say look, there’s one thing I don’t like about movie making.
What is the greatest thing that being a film maker has done for you?
A lot! First of all, this job has made me to meet a lot of people. There’s no continent in this world that I’ve not been to. My movies have taken me to every nook and cranny of this world and I’m happy about that. I’ve met great people, I’ve met downtrodden people, I’ve met people up there as well and it has given me a huge name and I thank God for that. Maybe if I was not a movie maker, the world won’t have known a Zeb Ejiro. But today, I’m known all over the world. Wherever I go, people give me enough respect and all that. I think for me, I’m privileged and I thank God for that.

What is the greatest mistake that any film maker can make?
The greatest mistake any film maker can make is compromising when you are doing your job. You see, this thing is so significant that you must be very careful. When you come out with your movie, your movie is released into the market, you will not be in Kano when they are watching it, you will not be in Enugu when people are watching it, you will not be in Ibadan when people are watching it, you will not be in New York (USA) or anywhere in the world when they are watching it; when people will see those little mistakes that you have made because you compromised.

Some people attain success, but find it difficult to sustain. Having been into movie making for decades, where do you think that most people get it wrong?
Most people lose it when they allow stardom to take over. That’s where they lose it! Because don’t forget that you are not the only person in the world, you are not the only movie maker, entertainer or what have you in the world. For you to be where you are, you are privileged. God has given you that opportunity. You have to be humble; you have to humble yourself, no matter the position you find yourself. And you must always see yourself as if you are not there yet. The way I live is that, as I speak to you, I have not made that movie yet. That one movie that will tear the entire world apart. I have not made it. I still try to attain that standard. And even when I get close to it, I say oh my God, this is rubbish! My next movie, I’m gonna do better. So, if you have that kind of attitude, there is no way you won’t stay in business for as long as you want to.
You started out as a welder. But along the line you veered into film making. What got you interested in film making?
I started as so many things. You see, my story is an inspirational story for the young ones to learn from…

(Interruption) – Can you share it will us?
Yeah! I will give you the full story. I come from a fairly good family background. Not very rich. We were just there. And the opportunity to go to school, do most of these things were not there for us. We struggled, and I also hawked. What they call kiri in Yoruba language. I did that. I was selling egg, carrying it about. I did all that. I did welder, I did salesman, going from door to door. I even did dispatch riding. I was working in one company in Apapa (Lagos) where I was a dispatch rider. I did so many things. I was doing all these things because I was trying to discover who Zeb Ejiro is; I was trying to say God, you didn’t bring me into this world for nothing; there must be a purpose why I’m here in this world.
So, what is that thing? I must give credit to my mum. We were born and bred in Equatorial Guinea -  my younger brother (Chico) and I. My mum was a cinema addict. She will always take us to the cinema to watch films. So, that’s exactly where we developed the idea. When I came to Nigeria, when I watch a programme with my friends, I will criticize the thing. So, they said how come you know so much about movie making? You should go into this business. Then, the opportunity came through NTA (Nigeria Television Authority) calling for people who can write scripts; we want to train them, send them to BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) and all that. Then, I applied. More than 5000 people in this country applied. Only 27 of us were taken. That’s how I met people like Andy Amenechi, Bond Emeruwa, late Samson Augu-Barry and co. And that’s how it all started.
What distinguishes Mr. Zeb Ejiro as a film maker?
I’m very passionate about my movies. I don’t just make movies. People think I make movies everyday. No, I don’t. I take my time. Why I’m different is that before I go to location, I want to tell something different, I want to do something unique. Just like what we just did recently in Ibadan. I just came back some days ago from Ibadan where I went to do a movie for a cause. This movie is about the yellow cassava. This new cassava is the campaign UN (United Nations) is taking all over the world now because it has vitamin A. They know that our people eat garri a lot.
Instead of you to go to the market to start buying vitamin A so that your sight is good, your body is fit and all that, they’ve done it in such a way that you take it naturally from your regular cassava. And this cassava is unique. Once you harvest it, once you fry it, as they do it, you don’t put oil to make it red. It turns red on the spot. It’s very unique. So, it’s a movie for a cause; it’s an advocacy movie that I’ve done. But you see, the funny thing is that we didn’t do a docu-movie; we did a love story. Then, tied the cassava, very thin, running across it. It’s so unique.

What’s the title of the movie?
The working title now is The Yellow Cassava.

When is it likely to be out? And who are the people there?
Oh my God! Monalisa Chinda played the lead role; followed by Chidi Mokeme, Emeka Ossai, Segun Arinze, Christy Okonkwo and of course, I used it to launch one lady called Stacy Chima. She’s the new discovery from our stable. It’s gonna be premiered in September in Abuja. Mr. President will be there because this is his area – agriculture.

One nice thing which a lot of people say about you is that you are a good man. You came into a sector, struck gold there and invited all your siblings (Chico and Peter) to also be partakers. Most people are selfish, they rarely do that. So, what made you to do it?
Azuh, I must confess that your 3rd anniversary which I attended and also the 2nd one, when I saw your brothers and all of them are doing well in your profession; forget every other thing that you have done, for me, I think that is your greatest achievement.
That is the truth and I respect you for that. You see, the truth of the matter is that if you are a billionaire in a family, just only you; you are not a billionaire; you are not even a rich man. But when you spread it to your siblings, you will find out that when it’s time to take care of mama, papa or any situation, those brothers will say hey, keep your money, you don’t need to spend a dime, you’ve done all the spending, it is our turn to now do the spending. They will take the problem off you. There’s nothing as wonderful as investing in human beings. Investing in your siblings. There’s nothing as great as that.
If you are a Dangote, your brother should be a Jonathan and that’s exactly what has happened in your family today and that is what is happening in my family today. We have one of the biggest film schools in the world today called The Film and Broadcast Academy in Delta State. Peter Ejiro is the Rector, running the school. I’m happy! Chico, my younger brother today is one of the best in this industry. I brought all of them. You know, I just felt that we should enjoy it together. It was just a natural thing.
For a very long time now, you’ve not been able to make another movie that could equate the commercial success recorded by Domitilla. What exactly is the problem?
Yeah, I have not been able to because of so many reasons. But I will just mention two major reasons. One of the reasons is that when I did Domitilla; Domitilla was highly successful. Then, I took it further when I did Sakobi. In Domitilla, I went to 10 cinema houses, showing simultaneously. I did it bigger with Sakobi. Sakobi, I went to 20 cinema houses, two states, Ogun and Lagos, and showing simultaneously.
Then, cinema exhibitors got greedy. To them, they felt that this man was making a lot of money. The initial agreement we had; suddenly, one morning, they woke up and said no, no, no, no! Oga, dis thing, we no know say na so e go dey successful. We need to change. I got angry. I said no. If I’m coming back for the third one and you are telling me to do this, I will understand. But mid way, you can’t shift the goal post. It’s not possible. So, that is why I’ve not bothered and I don’t want to make any movie and just release it like that. I want to make a movie and do that same run, make it so big, make it so huge. That is one of my problems.
And my second problem is: for you to get a cinema story, it’s not easy. That story has to be tight. I’ve seen my friends who are going to cinema, doing whatever they are doing. At the end of the day, they will come out and say they’ve made so much. But if you look at the books, it’s not true. I heard that Half of the Yellow Sun held Lagos hostage. That is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking at. If I don’t get that story, I’m not gonna do it and I know that Yellow Cassava will do it.

One of your creations, Ripples, remains the longest running soap on network TV. Why have you also not been able to come out with another soap that will be as successful as that?
Thank you for bringing all these issues. There are two huge organizations that I’m speaking with now to come out with what I call Ripples, The New Generation. So, we are bringing back some of the old stars and merging them with new stars. That is why we call it Ripples, The New Generation. Like I told you, I have put together a powerful story. I’m speaking with two big organizations at the moment for sponsorship and you know Ripples was a monster hit. You can’t come back with Ripples, The New Generation and you come with something sub-standard. So, the budget this time will be a lot bigger. It’s taking sometime. But very soon people will see it.
As one of the pioneers of Nollywood, what would you say is the greatest challenge facing it?
You know that Nollywood is not what it used to be in those days. In those days, people can put some few thousands together and make a movie. Today, if you want to make a blockburster, you have to be armed with nothing less than N10 million/N15 million. And this money is not something that you can get by the asking; it’s something that you need huge investors. Sometimes I feel sorry for the Nigerian banks, because they are not doing enough to invest in Nollywood. What they are doing, they will regret it at the end of the day, because what DSTV did to the like of NTA, Silverbird and co, that’s exactly what they are going to do to them.
Because what DSTV is doing, what Africa Magic is doing today, that same proposal we gave to NTA so many years ago. They didn’t bother, because they looked at the movies as who is gonna watch them outside Nigeria. But DSTV came and today, Africa Magic is the most watched channel. If you go to policy makers, their homes, governors, their television sets are permanently on DSTV. They are not watching NTA. They only tune to NTA or Nigerian television stations when they want to listen to news. After that, they switch over to DSTV.
So, these are some of the problems we have in the industry today. Funding is a major thing. I want to seize this opportunity to thank President Goodluck Jonathan, because he is the only President that loves Nollywood. He’s given so much to Nollywood. Mr. President has given N3 billion to Nollywood for capacity building, production and distribution. But this money is not coming! It’s going to more than one year now since he gave us this money.
This money is there, but the people who are handling the part of disbursement, I don’t know what is wrong. We’ve attended series of interviews, we have filled applications; I’m tired! (Laughing). I just pray that the money will come out as soon as possible. And I want to give an advise to my co-producers – when you get a loan, when you get sponsors or you get funding, please, the job has to be done well so that you open doors for other people; so that you don’t close that door. Because if it is not properly done, that door will be closed.

As a star maker and also someone who is in constant touch with these stars, where do you think that most of them get it wrong?
See! There are a lot of people who never dreamt of being what they are today. Suddenly, they found themselves there. People are running after them. Ah! I need to see you, I need to see you and all that. They start seeing themselves above God. That’s where they get it wrong.
The movie industry did not start with the stars that are there today. It started with others. When we were talking, we mentioned a name – somebody you saw some days ago in Ikeja trekking or something. If somebody had told that person that at one time, this is how it’s gonna be, the person will not believe.
Where they get it wrong is that they see themselves above God, they see themselves above the industry. People who suffered to make them who they are, they dump those people, they don’t respect them. You are doing something today, maybe a child’s naming ceremony, marriage or whatever, they don’t attend. They don’t come, they don’t need you anymore!
Because the politicians are giving them so much money, the politicians are buying them cars; female politicians are buying the male stars cars, homes and what have you. The male politicians are buying the female ones whatever they want. So, suddenly, they don’t need the producer anymore. They can even make bigger movies than you now because one politician will give them N100 million and you are looking for N15 million to do a blockbuster.
So, suddenly, they find out that they are bigger than you. Not just you; they are bigger than the industry. They start to equate themselves with God and forget that these politicians will only use you while you are the reigning star. They will flock around you for that period of time. Immediately somebody else springs up, they will dump you and go to that person.
I know a lot of these stars that are now calling me to say Zeb, I heard you are doing something, you are not calling us. Why? Because they are not getting jobs anymore; they are not relevant anymore; the politicians are not giving them money anymore, because the politicians have now seen younger people that they are frolicking with. I think the bane of the movie industry are the Nigerian politicians. That’s the truth!
No doubt, God has used you to create a lot of stars. Of all the stars that you’ve dealt with, who are the ones with the best behaviour and why?
For the male, I will always mention Saint Obi. Saint Obi is a perfect gentleman. Saint Obi comes to my office once every week. Not for anything; just to drop by to say hello. People like Saint are very scarce. Not only in the movie industry. Even in this world – somebody that always looks back to say this is where I started and always tries to pay homage. Saint is one of them.
When it comes to the female, the person I will mention is Omotola (Jalade-Ekeinde). Omotola does not joke with anything that I do. Even when I did my daughter’s wedding, Omotola was there. She was not the only one I invited. I invited a lot of stars that passed through my hands, but she came. Apart from that, there’s nothing I tell Omotola to do for me that she doesn’t. She’s so humble, respectful. She can’t even call me my name. She calls me Pappy or Papa.
Another person again I will give that credit is Ibinabo Fiberesima. That one, she’s so awesome. She’s so close to me to the extent that people say are you sure she’s not your daughter? (General laughter). She’s a wonderful lady. She doesn’t call my name as well. She calls me Papa. In fact, in the entire industry, she’s known as Zeb Ejiro’s daughter. Yes, Ibinabo, Omotola and of course, Saint Obi.

Which of your movies gives you the greatest joy?
I will say Intimate Strangers. Intimate Strangers, starring Richard Mofe-Damijo, Edith Jayne-Azu and of course, Eucharia Anunobi. Because, for the first time, I was able to pry into the woman’s heart; discover that thing about women. A woman’s heart can be very tough, but I was able to delve into it, I was able to open it up through that movie and when people watch that movie, they say Zeb, it’s a wonderful movie.

Which of your movies don’t you like?
I will mention Conflicting Shadows, because I wanted to look into the other side of life. But I think I didn’t achieve that because then we didn’t have the know-how to do enough special effects to achieve it.
Nollywood has been so good to you, no doubt. What more do you want from the sector?
5 years ago, UNESCO came with a report that the Nigerian movie industry is the second biggest movie making country in the world. I don’t think we are now. But that’s not even where I’m going. Where I’m going is that I want a situation where Nigeria will be the No. 1 movie making nation in the world. That’s what I’m looking for. I’m not looking as per what Zeb Ejiro will gain; I’m looking as per what Nigerians will gain at the end of the day, because I have children; one of them is a movie director at the moment. He directs my soap opera and all that and I have young people I see every day.
My Facebook page, my twitter handle, people write me every day; young boys and girls, they want to come into the movie industry. I think the thing is that we, the elders, need to build a viable movie industry; we have to leave behind a viable movie industry for these young ones to come and grow, so that tomorrow they will talk good about us.

Most people watch your movies to relax and to be happy. What do you do when you want to relax?
I tell people that I don’t work. When they ask me when do you go for holidays? I say I don’t have any time I go, because I don’t think I’m working. I go to the office everyday to enjoy myself. They will say how? I will say movie making is all about fun. Yes! The only thing I do outside of the movie industry that makes me happy is I watch football.

Enough of Nollywood, let’s even talk about your family.
Yeah! My wife is Joy Ejiro. We now call her Joy Zeb-Ejiro, because don’t forget that Chico’s wife is Joy also. So, when you say Joy Ejiro, people say which of them? I have seven children in all, four boys and three girls. All have graduated, by the grace of God…

What are their names?
I have Martins; Martins is the first. Melvin, second; Maurice, third; Marvin, fourth; Zino, Mimi and of course, Zeb Ejiro, Jnr.

Your wife, how did you meet her?
We met in AJ (Ajegunle) actually. I was just a young boy, moved into one room, trying to manage myself and by the side of the room was this very large and big house. So, each time I look at that house, I see fine girls coming out of the place (Laughing). So many fine girls coming out of the house. Boys, girls, well looking, well fed. I said ah-ah, who is the owner of this house? They said it’s one man o; he’s the Area Manager of Glaxo Smithkline. So, I kept eyeing all the girls. Then, I saw my wife. I said this is the one I want o! To me, this one is more beautiful, let me take this one. That’s how we met actually.
Most marriages crumble in your sector, but yours has survived for decades. What would you say has sustained it?
The truth of the matter is that even in my own marriage, we’ve had ups and downs. We’ve had wonderful times and we’ve also had terrible times. A lot of people when they have problems in their marriages, they tend to watch TV soap operas, read books for them to correct it. But I tell them that there is no way you can correct your marriage or live your marital life watching soap operas or seeing how it is done in soap operas.
The only way is through Christ. If you put your marriage in the hands of Christ, it can never crumble. Don’t forget that when the people were hungry and the disciples went to Christ to say how do we feed these people? He said what do you have? They said we have 5 loves and 2 fish. What did God do? He multiplied it. Anything you put in the hands of the Lord does not come back the same way. It’s not possible, because He’s God and His word cannot change.
Anything you put in His hands definitely cannot come back the same. It must multiply. So, when you put your marriage in the hands of the Lord, you will find out that when the downs come, it will be solved on its own. You will be able to handle it, because what is it about life? It’s all about forgiveness. I’m so deep in the Lord. There is nothing that I do without calling the Great Man up there. Because if you look at my background, I’m not supposed to be where I am today. That’s the truth. But today, I can categorically hit my chest that I am one of the biggest movie makers in Africa.
I can as well say that I have not even started, I have not even touched the surface of my success because what God has in stock for me, I have not even done it. I’m very fit. I don’t fall sick. The only time I’m sick is due to fatigue.  I’m so fit at my age. Some of my colleagues cannot even move properly any more. So, it is not me. It is God! So, in marriage, what has kept me going all these years is God. Like I said, we’ve had terrible times.
But when I say Father, come, I didn’t bring myself here o! I mean it o! You brought me here o! And I’m giving you the authority to make the decision in this marriage. Everything! Show the direction. My own is to follow. He doesn’t fail. And that is what God wants. What He wants is you must recognize Him, you must give Him that honour.
See, what I do these days – when people get married, when other people are buying TV, I go and buy that cassette titled The Making of a Marriage and each couple, they call me back to say Zeb, your gift is the best of all the things we got. The Making of a Marriage by Pastor John Hagee. It’s a series. When you listen to it, it will tell you that…Look, my marriage got to the point where, oh my God! I don’t want to say those terrible things here.
I was in the church one day, my pastor; I go to Household of God, Chris Okotie. My pastor said something. Okay, let me tell you something. I was arguing with my friends one day and I said if a marriage succeeds, it’s the man. If a marriage fails, it’s the man. Not the woman. When I said this, my friends said hey, Zeb! Which one is your own sef? Leave dis tin! A marriage, if it fails, succeeds, it’s the woman. I said no!
I asked a simple question – who is the head of the family? They said the man. Who is the person that God has given authority? They said it’s the man. Who is the driver of the marriage? They said the man. Who did God give the power and say you are the head, make the decision of this marriage? They said it is the man and I said so, why are you arguing with me? You the man; if you are running your business and your business is crashing, won’t you find a way to make that business to work? When it comes to your wife and you think she’s so terrible, why can’t you apply the same thing here? By the time I finished, my friends, they were just looking at me like this and I got that from a book I read and it’s true.
My pastor said something in church one day. He said that when there is trouble in the house, in your home, the devil is attacking the wife. The devil enters the house through the woman. So, you the man, you must realize that at that time the woman is misbehaving, the devil is attacking her. So, it’s your responsibility as the man to help her. Take that devil off her that moment. Because if not, the thing will destroy the marriage and it is true.

Controversy rules and reigns in your sector. What is the best way to avoid it? Especially for the stars…
As I sit here, I cannot say I’m a saint. I have my own shortcomings as a human being. But you get to a particular point in life where you don’t allow scandals to get close to you. The new generation of stars we have now do one thing that is also allowed in showbiz – create scandals! Because it sells like wildfire. So, most times, when you see these scandals, they are cooked scandals. In the days of Ripples we did it. They do it in Hollywood…

(Interruption) – But there are those that are real? That’s the one we are talking about…
For those ones that are real, I think the much you can do is to talk to them. To say stop! What they do after they’ve left you; you cannot control. But I think people should try as much as possible to stay out of scandals. That is my own advice. But I can’t place my finger on what they should do to stop (Laughing). My advice is just be careful.
Presido! God has been so nice and kind to you. What more do you want from Him?
The only thing I ask from God, seriously and sincerely, is for Him to help me know Him more. I know Him, but I don’t think I know Him enough yet. We ask questions at times in my church. And I must give it to my pastor. The man knows the Bible so much. So, a lady stood up and said the Bible said we should not worry, but there are so many problems in this world. Why won’t we be worried? And he (Okotie) told the lady to stick to the Bible.
Initially when he said that thing, I said ah-ah! What is Pastor saying? But since I knew Christ, I don’t think of what I will eat the next day. Most of the businesses I’ve gotten recently, I didn’t apply for them. I got them through phone calls. Hello! Are you Zeb Ejiro? Please, we need you in our office so, so day. And you go there; it’s a multi-million naira business. That is the little I’ve know Him o! Come say if I know am well! (Laughing).

It’s obvious that you are now deep into religion and all that. Did you embrace Christ due to old age or there was an issue? How did you gravitate towards the knowledge and acceptance of Christ?
Normally, something must push you to the Lord (General laughter). In my own case, it’s not old age. My own is about life’s situation. At a point, I looked at myself and I said I have dined with the poor, the mighty and powerful, I’ve travelled, I’ve done everything. So, what next? And that is the truth. Azuh, there’s nothing in this life. It’s all vanity.

The only thing you can hold; as we end this world, the only thing you can take back home is Christ. You can’t take back the 25-storey building. The fine clothes, the good body that you are polishing; it’s good to look good. Everything that you have, you are not taking any. But it’s good to have them. However, when you have them, use them to glorify people, use them to help people. That’s what you should do; and the only thing you can hold when your time has come and your Father has called you to go, is Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment