Sunday, March 30, 2014

To All Mothers--On Uka Nne


Nigerian novelist Buchi Emecheta spoke of the Joys of Motherhood in her book with the same title--the often unacknowledged labor that mothers put in daily to nurture their families. On this Mother's Sunday, Uka Nne, I wish all mothers the best that motherhood brings: May your children rise up everyday to bless you for your loving care, and may your husband praise you as the one that smiles fortunes into his future (Proverbs 31: 25, 28). May your dreams for yourself and for your family come true. And may God keep you smiling and relishing the joyful joys of motherhood. Happy Mother's Sunday. And keep smiling. Together with the Nigerian mothers we intone O bu onye ga-abu mama m? Nne m o! (Who will be my mama? My mother); with Prince Nico Mbarga, we sing the evergreen, Sweet mother, I no go forget you; and with Onyeka Onwenu, we belt out, Chukwu biko gozie ochie dike mama (God, please bless my dear strong mum).

12 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to our mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. irreplaceable jewels. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mama m ihe di mma ka m ga emere gi o, onye oma, onye oma, onye o ga a diri mma, nne m oma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A continuation of the "Who will be my mama?" song above: Beautiful/worthy things I will do for you, my mama, the good one, the worthy one, the one all things will go well for, my wonderful mother!

      Delete
    2. And you hid this, the beauty of the song in that language? Not insults intended.

      Delete
    3. was just singing along

      Delete
  4. Happy una nne to our mamas

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's Mother's Day in heaven too, for those of us that our mothers have crossed over to the eternal peace. I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Mother's day to all our sweet Mothers.Even Doctors cannot authoritatively explain the mystery behind carrying a fellow human being in the Uterus for nine months and the Mothers endure the discomfort for those Nine months and ever after.I rep our Mothers and i love you all.To those who have lost theirs,please accept my sincere sympathy,believing that God organized a better one for them over there.

    ReplyDelete