Sunday, November 16, 2014

Happy Birthday Chinua Achebe. #Inspiration

Achebe (b. November 16, 1930)
"I'd like to pursue my own understanding and study of Igbo culture, which excites me more and more everyday.... This is one of the major cultures in Africa, and it's received scant attention. And somebody ought to get down to work on it, you know, just to uncover the mainspring of Igbo thinking. This is a major undertaking. And I'm not certain just what aspect I shall begin with, but that doesn't matter--this is the major area that needs to be attended to. So, that's the next thing that I'm excited about--getting back to Igboland, getting back to the study of Igbo people and Igbo culture." (Chinua Achebe, 1976)

"When I write, I always think of my hometown, my district, my province, my race. One must take into account those who speak a language which is exclusively yours and whose problems you share. Problems like oppression, like living in a given society. I began from the inside, in my own thinking, and worked out; and I hope that others will understand and get something out of what I am saying." (Chinua Achebe, 1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment