Thursday, December 04, 2014

Nse Ikpe Etim, Still Going Strong


NOTABLE Nollywood actress Nse Clifford Sule (nee Ikpe Etim) is an actress with an unquenchable passion for acting. A native of Akwa Ibom State who studied Theatre Arts at the University of Calabar, Nse has been having a smooth run in the movies and has been playing a raised game too since she made a return in Emem Isong’s 2009 movie ‘Reloaded’. 
    Indeed, the multi-award winning actress who fans picked in 2014 to win the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Award (AMVCA) for Best Actress in a drama for her effort in Tope Oshin Ogun’s ‘Journey to Self’ has, with her acting streaks, found a comfortable position on the chart of top Nollywood practitioners. 

    The approachable, humble and unpretentiously friendly actress has received countless nominations for her effort as an actress and has received a couple of awards including the AMVCA. A chance meeting with Nse and she agreed to speak about married life and her career. 
Would it be right to describe this new project you mentioned as a comeback for you after your wedding? 
No, this is not a comeback. I have been working consistently and sometimes back-to-back over the past year and half. For instance, I shot a project called ‘Heaven’s Hell’ right after my traditional marriage. I then shot ‘The Green Eyed’ in Port Harcourt, ‘Beauty of the Mind’ in Abuja and a few in Enugu, including ‘Pretty Liars’, ‘Soul of the Poor’ and ‘In Between.’. 
  Then there were two in Ghana, ‘Purple Rose’ and ‘Devil in the Detail’ and a few in Lagos, including ‘I come Lagos’ and ‘Breaking Ranks’. In the UK, I shot ‘Justified’ and now I am back in Lagos working on this new project.
    Unfortunately, I can tell you absolutely nothing about the movie I am currently shooting. There is a very airtight confidentiality clause in my contract. I can however tell you that I am very excited about this movie; it has been a blast shooting it and I am looking forward to its release.
Most people say celebs don’t enjoy marriage because of pressure of work. Is that correct? 
Well, marriage is not meant to be stifling and mine isn’t. So I really have no comment or opinion on this. Perhaps we should ask those who say so, to tell us why. 
I have heard people say that you married not by choice but because you wanted to escape the prying eyes of gossip writers. Is that correct?
(Laughter) It is like the people that say these things need to be the ones answering these questions. I am not a teenager or an impressionable young woman. I am seldom forced into things and I definitely have no interest in pleasing people or gossip writers.  
You probably consider the day you said ‘I do’ to your husband as you happiest moments yet? 
Yes, it is one of the happiest moments in my lifetime. There have been several and I am sure there will be many more, because every day is blissful as long as grace abounds. 
But what has changed about you as Nse? Have your food type, colour and dress code changed?
Change is constant. Then again I do not think it will be fair to say I am no longer Nse. I still laugh and prank the same way and I have learnt to live rather than exist.  Being a connoisseur of food, my taste can only get better with variation and he makes it easy cooking for him as we both enjoy eating and cooking. My favourite colour pre-marriage is still my favourite colour post-marriage. Whether in Nigeria or the UK, I dress for the weather or the occasion. 
You won the AMVCA Award shortly after you were married and you were not here to pick it up. Did you see the award and many others you have received coming? 
It is so sad that I could not get on a podium to thank my fans as I was not in the country and logistics did not permit. However, I was humbled when I got the call and I don’t think it ever gets to a point where you think you will ever win. I would like to say thank you to everyone who voted for me. I am so grateful for your support. God bless you all.  
Would you consider the movie that gave you the crest your most memorable movie thus far? 
Making ‘Journey to Self’ was very memorable. However, all the films I make are just as memorable. I always say my best work is my next work. So I am looking forward to making many more memorable movies. 
What was the motivation for accepting to feature in a comedy film ‘I come Lagos’? Never seen you in a comedy?
I always dreamed of the day I would speak in an accent different from mine. So when I read the script, I was immediately sold on the character ‘Blessing’. I thought that it would be a very fun character to play and would give people the chance to experience another facet of Nse. Hopefully they enjoyed it. 
Would you say that you have found acting very rewarding or would you have done something else?
The rewards have been immeasurable especially knowing that some people have been affected by my work. It is truly humbling and it is what we live and act for. I cannot count how many people walk up to me talking about how a character I played touched them personally. So, putting all this into consideration, there is nothing else I would have preferred to do aside being an actor.
One would have thought that now that you are married, you would have added some kilos in those important area but you are still your semi-lepacious self?
You know, my husband and I are actually health nuts. We like to work out and eat healthy. So there is little or no hope of unwanted kilos making an appearance in our bodies. When the kilos are wanted, we will welcome them happily. 
So is it just going to be acting and taking care of the home front for you? What advice for young married couples?

For now, that is all there is to me. If and when that changes, I will be sure to let you know. My advice to young couples would be to respect and love your partner. There is no hard and fast rule… I am sure there is a full manual in all books of wisdom.
Source: Shaibu Husseini, The Guardian

2 comments:

  1. I love this woman. Well done and keep doing your best to strike a balance in your marriage and profession. These actors will always make us believe that they are all fine until " casala" bursts. Wishing you a long lasting marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she lovely? Adorable.

    ReplyDelete