Wednesday, September 16, 2015

And Okonkwo Goes Viral!

(Pius Adesanmi)--Thank You, Millennials!
Despite sorrow, despite anguish, despite depression over Kogi state, Nigeria, today, I somehow had to find the strength to go and teach that introduction to African literature second-year class.
Discussions came to the cultural and contextual bases of similes, metaphors, and other figures of speech. I take an example from Things Fall Apart:
"During this time Okonkwo’s fame had grown like a bush-fire in the harmattan"

There is no way a Canadian writer would write: "grow like a bush-fire in the harmattan", I tell the class. You have to come from the world of cultural significations encoded by harmattan, etc etc I went on. Now, what would a Canadian novelist write to express exactly the same idea as Achebe?
Put differently, how would you say this?
Her instinctive answer came from the back of the class:
"During this time, Okonkwo's fame had grown viral"
Profs Adeleke Adeeko, Ato Quayson, Kenneth Harrow, Rem Raj, Obiwu Iwuanyanwu, this was pure ecstasy for me! So beautiful. Okonkwo instantly became beautifully [recognizable] as a netizen! My depression vanished and class came alive. Only a millennial would come up with this beauty.

My spirit tells me that Ezeulu will send his first tweet before these millennials are done with me this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment