Sunday, May 12, 2019

Eke, Orie, Afo, Nkwo: Igbo Market Days

"EKE: (taking stage vigorously and waving the ogirishi branch) I am Eke! First part of the whole. My day is sacred. I hold the Eastern pillar of the earth. Agwu, the unpredictable, multi-faceted, creative and destructive force, patron of diviners and medicine men, is my consort. The ogirishi is my sacred staff. (waves it).
          ORIE: (taking stage and waving the ikenga) I am Orie! I hold the pillar of the earth on the West. Ogwugwu, that fearsome spirit, benefactor of the just and industrious, protective yet ruthless in anger, patronises my markets. I wield the ikenga.
          AFOR: (taking stage and waving the ofo branch) I am Afor! I hold up the earth at the Northen corner. The fearsome Amadioha is my impatient instrument for justice. The ofo is my staff.
          NKWO: (taking stage and waving the aboshi) I am Nkwo! Ala, the pacific nature spirit of fertility, guardian of morality and prosperity patronises my markets. I hold up the Southern edge of the world. I wield the sacred aboshi branch.
          ALL: We are the four pillars of the earth!
          AFOR: We gave our names to your market days.
          EKE: We are the four market days.
          ORIE: We are Izu! Complete.
          NKWO: We represent your forebears!
          ALL: We are your forebears!"
Toni Duruaku, 2003, 44-45
A Matter of Identity

No comments:

Post a Comment