Saturday, February 18, 2023

Of Hats and Representations of Culture

It's been more than a year now since I got back into the classrooms. Within this period, and without meaning to, I have made the wearing of hats my sartorial signature. I wear hats to lectures. I wear hats to school events. I wear hats everywhere. Colleagues have teased me about the hats. Some joke that they almost do not recognize me without my hats. Trust the students to always come up with the most clever comments about the hats. They admire my collection as well as how I mix and match them with my outfit. But some of them want to know which culture I represent in particular with the hats. "Multiple cultures," I always respond, because more is usually better than one. There's no method to my hat preferences though. I just enjoy wearing the hats and repping the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment