Sunday, December 11, 2016

I Don't Get Nigerian Christians

(By Temidayo Ahanmisi) - Once I made an update about an untoward event in my life when I was a child.
I was a Christian child who went to church, prayed hard and wanted to save the world for Christ.
For years I went about confused and angry as to why God didn't save me from abuse as he saved the Israelites just to prove his name.
It took me a while and forays into different vistas of inquiry and knowledge to understand that there was no God to hold responsible.
Humans messed me up. If anyone should pay, these humans should. There is no God to redress any wrong. It behoves on us humans to seek justice and to administer good for our own good.
I stopped holding God responsible and let God go.
My inbox was chock full of protestations against my peace and equanimity.
I don't get Christians. I don't get religious people as a whole. I will never ever get Nigerian Christians even if I live for the next 500 years.
They want me to hold God responsible, even though they say God is not responsible.
It seemed the only point of departure for them was that I was the wrong mouth to say it.

When clear cut cases of crime against humans are recorded within a religious theme, Facebook Christians are quick to mount battlements against Facebook atheists to declare insensitivity against their God, the Church, men of God, Christians etc.
It's the new way to be cool. Attack anyone who questions your silly idols called men of God. Declare how you are intolerant to unbelievers and you will be hailed for standing by your Christian guts. You will be told how you are needed in these end times to defend Christ and his church, blah bla bla.
Intolerance and cyber bullying of unbelievers and all freethinkers is wholly acceptable. It is the way to rise from an average of 3 a month comments per post to 300 comments in 1 hour.
It is all a scam of course.
Taken number for number, there are easily 60 vocal Nigerian Christians to every vocal Nigerian atheist on the social media. In real time this number is easily 2,000 Christians to 1 atheist. Let's not even talk about the muslims and other non-christian, non-atheist population.
How then are atheists persecuting the so-called body of Christ?
In the last weeks I can't personally count how many times I have had to click the "unfriend" button on seeing one of those atheist bashing posts. Last time a post calling on all Christians on Facebook to unfriend the "atheists" on their friend lists had over 150 shares in just hours, not to talk of the "gbams" and "god bless you for this message" orgasmic assents. We are talking in the thousand perhaps here.
Yet "atheists" are overwhelming and exasperating poor, persecuted Christians.
Miss me with all that nonsense.
You Nigerian Christians cannot defend your fallacious logic; your glaring incongruities. Your lives and reality for the most are at variance with all you tout. When you are called out or questioned in any way you start to scream intolerance and prosecution.
Look, we are all in this mess that is Nigeria together. There are no safeguards for anyone except what you create from imagination. It is okay to believe you are inured from it all, but know that the minute you declare your claims and yet get fucked in any way it is only natural that your claims will be recalled into question.
Thank you.

Please unfriend after reading. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment