Friday, March 17, 2017

When the Catholic Church Names You

“Very generous of you, Dr. Mandi.” I spoke too brightly.
“Ah, there’s the issue of nomenclature to iron out. I’m quite happy with my initials. You must call me S. P. J. C.”
“That would be presumptuous. Besides, it’s such a mouthful! Ess Pee Jay Cee.”
“Well, that's what you get when the Catholic Church names you. Simon Peter came with baptism. Jude with confirmation. My parents threw in Chika to appease the ancestors. For years I didn’t know how to hold the names together. You don’t walk up to people and introduce yourself as Simon Peter Jude Chika Mandi. Somebody might fall asleep while you’re at it. But my chemistry teacher in secondary school solved the problem. He strung together the initials I have used ever since. Saved me a lot of headache, that wise fellow.”
Okey Ndibe
Arrows of Rain, 2015, p. 81-82.

No comments:

Post a Comment