Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Of Nigerians and "Anything for the Boys?"

Jude Idada (R)

(By Jude Idada)

Three times I warned them.
Yet they persisted.
Not these ones, but the ones like them.
Dressed in uniforms.
They are supposed to guard the estate in which I live.
But they conducted themselves like motorpark touts.
There was the first time.
I was walking to the elevator and the uniformed guard who usually sits by the elevator said to me...
"Sir, please find me something. Owu dey blow."
I warned him to desist from begging and bringing dishonour to the uniform he wore.
He apologised.
Next day I walk to the elevator.
He greets me with a welcoming smile.
I get into the elevator and as the door is about closing, he blocks it with his hand.
It opens.

"Sir, you say make I no beg you for money again, say na you go decide to give me. See na I no beg you and you no drop anything for me. Abeg pity me."
I was flabberwhelmed.
Once again I warned him of the dire consequences of incessant begging even more so while on duty and the impression he is passing across.
He apologised.
Two nights ago.
My friends and I were driving into the compound and the guards at that gate, four in number crowded around the car. 
Their hands held high above their heads.
"Senior Fathers! Nothing do you. Your boys loyal."
"Bros anything for the boys!"
"Bigga boys. As we see una e mean say dis night don done be dat. Awon sure boys. We dey hail."
"Lekki Husbands, na una senior Ambode pass. Jagabans in the making. Pesin wen know una no fit hungry."
We were shocked.
The audacity.
Once again I spoke to them.
They apologised.
This morning I go for my power walk.
As I walked in I heard them whispering behind me.
"Na im be dat"
I went upstairs, showered and came back down.
And I spoke to them.
Candidly.
Deeply.
Far-ranging.
Told them what it meant to stand guard and be given the onerous responsibility of protecting people and property.
I told them about professionalism and favour.
I told them about the poverty mindset, the pity syndrome and addictiveness of begging.
I empathised with them as to their not earning enough to give them a good living but explained to them that he who begs so incessantly will do graduate to embezzlement and thievery when saddled with position or power, since the act of taking for self will be the bedrock of their personality.
I told them that the best service possible and the ability to put your all into whatever you do, without currying favour speaks volumes in the presence of men and God.
I explained to them that Angels walk amongst men and you never know when you will come across one but if you are always giving your best, you can be rest assured that the Angel will meet you at your best and because they will then any blessings coming forthwith is yours.
I then hugged each one of them before I asked them to promise themselves that they will aspire to be their best and give their best.
They did.
And I asked them to take my message and shsre it with the others in the shifts that will replace them.
They promised.
After that I gave each of them some money before I left.
They were thankful.
Thirty minutes ago I came down via the elevators.
The guard who sits by the elevator stood up once I stepped out.
He smiled and said.
:Afternoon sir, I apologise for how our staff behaved. I pormise that we will give our best at this job."
"Did the other guards speak to you?"
He nodded.
I smiled.
Hugged him.
Gave him some.money.
He looked at the money and shook his head.
I insisted.
"I am giving you of my own volition. It is called a gratuity. It comes after service as a reward and not before service as a ransom. Take it. I appreciate your service."
He smiled and collected it.
"Thank you sir and have a wonderful sunday."
"You too."
And I left.
Happy.
The message is spreading.
Lagos.


1 comment:

  1. Lol @ senior fathers and na una senior Ambode pass. Chaii, I can't stop laughing. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete