Sunday, February 11, 2018

Nigerian Christian: "You Are A Scam"


(By Temi Dayo) - My 80+ year old mother on poor advice by her doctor, took a dose of the drug, Salbutamol. A few hours later, my mother began to hallucinate. She thought it was raining heavily and that she saw a cat. She was light-headed and ranted incoherently for the most.
And this is where I will forever raise a fist in worship to my ancestor, my father, F.I. Ahanmisi, who sadly is beyond hearing, beyond earshot of all the affectionate adulations I pour on the memory he has become.
You see, my father was way above the league of others when it came to raising us. My mother, our children, my siblings... All still drink of the benefits of having a father who was too good to be a religious Nigerian. My father considered the superstition which is now transmuted into something called "Pentecostal Christianity" as beneath contempt. Even with the limitations of his environment, he yet held out and stayed above the fray of gross ignorance and general stupidity which passes for Spirituality and Religion in the society he lived in, and which he birthed his children into.

This is the reason why my siblings who were at home with my suffering mother thought of only one thing: "She is hallucinating. What has she had in the last 24 hours?"
Turned out her drug was the culprit. One of the contraindications for the drug is hallucination, especially as she had an an underlying high BP condition.
I had a father. I had the best of parentage, and that is why I have the luxury of looking down in scorn at my society. Scorn and dislike. Fear too.
In all of this, we realised that the venue of my mother's episode was what made all the difference. My mother will live out the rest of her days in peace, because even with the almost nil formal education she had, my mother raised is to be the kind of children who make it all worthwhile to have ever lived and grown old. But for geography that day, my beloved mother could have become a "Type Amen and Share WhatsApp broadcast byword. Imagine if she had been out taking a walk like she sometimes does, while battling the effects of that medication. Imagine if there was no one at home and she had wandered out of the house in that confused state. 
For the lot of you, you were raised by your society to see every old person (especially female) as a witch. You were raised to spend your days bleeding data and money in hovels like RantHQ and TB Joshua pages, asking inane questions like "can the head of a virgin give a ritualist dollars? What of N1k notes?" or typing "amen and share" on pictures of suffering old women and infants.
The only prayer I have for your kind is that your greatest fears overtake you in your delusion and overpower you. 
My only pity is that most of you have reproduced, roadkill that you are. Your children are orphans. 
What's most tragic is that some of you who would kill a woman like my mother because you and your poverty stricken existence are obsessed with the silliness of illusions of "destiny" and "star" would rush here to concur and talk like you might have sense. And why not? You all went to school. You type in English. 
The problem is it's all a scam. You are a scam. You, Nigeriàn Christian and your baby- shagging Muslim partners in crime, along with your badoo-fortifying babalawo co-travellers are a disgrace. You believe in witches. 
You believe a powerless Nigerian who can't influence PHCN to bring light or get potable water to drink will chant an incantation in Kafanchan, and you will lose your job in Lagos, or run in front of a speeding trailer in Port Harcourt.
You believe these nonsense. The plebes of your order are the ones on the streets, beating up confused old people and setting them ablaze.
You with all your smartphones, your foreign trips and your affectations of intelligence. You are still scum. Religious, spiritual Nigerian scum. Elite scum.
On behalf of beleaguered and vulnerable humans like my mother and all the old people you mock as "village People"; the little children you and your I'll tag as witches and demons, I say may the Universe defaecate on you and that nonsense you call your destiny.


No comments:

Post a Comment