Sunday, February 25, 2018

Africans, Traditional Religions, and Colo-mentality


(By Peter Adeosun Keyz) - Yesterday a lady greeted me "As-salamu alaykum" to which I responded "Wa'alaykumu as-salam". We both laughed about it. She's a staunch Christian, a devoted RCCG member and we've been friends for many years now. So we both knew we were just catching fun. 
Then I took the fun further and greeted her "Eríwo yà!" Instead of responding, she exclaimed "God forbid that I should respond to a greeting like that". I told her that if we could exchange pleasantries the Islamic way when she's not a Muslim, why couldn't we exchange pleasantries the Yoruba traditional way? She said she can still cope with Islam. Traditional religion is the one she can never cope with. Why? According to her, Islam is still close while traditional religion being idolatry is far away. 
I shook my head and walked away. I kept thinking about how the two of them successfully made us embrace their traditions and see our own tradition as dirt, a taboo, the forbidden.
Sometime ago, a guy informed his mum about his admission efforts. He wanted BA Linguistics but the person helping them said he might not get Linguistics. Rather they might give him BA Yorùbá. Immediately he mentioned that word, the mother screamed,
"God forbid! Why will you study Yorùbá? I've vowed you to God and therefore, you can never become a babaláwo. Let them give you a European language instead - English, French or German."
I didn't understand how studying Yoruba in the university makes you a babaláwo. So I asked her. She said being a student of Yorùbá involves learning incantations, visiting shrines, and doing practical sessions with Yoruba idol worshippers. I sighed. The students will study Yorùbá culture, beliefs, and all. And to this woman, all of this is anti-God. Of course the God of the slave masters that enslaved her ancestors doesn't like her child to study her own language in the university. 
What they did to us was effective and long-lasting. Centuries after, we're still behaving the way they asked us to behave back then. Even when the former slavemasters have started studying the Yorùbá language themslves - when European students are coming here for exchange programs in the study of our language and culture - the effect is yet to wear out on us.
Some of us will keep saying it. We're not very alright.


1 comment:

  1. I’m from West Texas, and I was among a few others victim who lost hard earned money to a Forex Scam, I had invested in a broker firm to the extent that I could not afford it because this broker firm kept demanding more money whenever it is time to withdraw profits. I was lucky to have detected the foul play on time, unfortunately I had already lost $931,795 worth of Bitcoin, Ethereum to this broker firm.
    After going to the authorities with no progress whatsoever, my lawyer directed me to a recovery agent who took over my case discreetly and began to trace and follow where the money has been laundered to, fortunately for me, this recovery team was able to trace and recover a huge chunk of my money, through blockchain technology. I was very pleased with how they handled my case and helped me gained my confidence back. Their contact information is Morphohack@CyberServices.Com

    ReplyDelete